When you have the right roof rack or carrier for your car, you can safely transport your paddle board while leaving the room with more space for your family and friends. As a beginner, choosing among the many styles, shapes, and prices available in the market can be confusing. Thus, I’ve compiled this list of the best stand up paddle board roof racks available today, along with some information about why you should buy one and what to consider and look for when purchasing one.
List of some of the best stand up paddle board roof racks:
Following is the list of the Best stand up paddle board roof racks available online.
- Fits easily and quickly.
- Suitable for most hardtop
vehicles, even those with
sunroofs and crossbars.
- Bespoke buckles ensure that
straps remain tight and
tensioned when traveling
- The package includes a pump,
bow, stern lines, and
- This product is not suitable
for vehicles with soft tops.
This roof rack is the most popular product on this entire list. With its lightweight, portable, and versatile design, this Inflatable Soft Roof Rack is great for any vehicle. Since 2006, it has proven to be a consumer favorite. As a result of the inflatable design and features, no rods or rails are needed, and it protects both the board and the vehicle from dents and scratches.
- A handy storage bag is included with it.
- Households with multiple sports and vehicles can use it.
- The capacity of this product is 175 pounds.
- It weighs only 6 pounds and is easy to transport.
- Durable materials are used in its construction.
- It is capable of carrying
two longboards or
- Durable and
materials are used.
- It weighs only 8 pounds.
- Loading is easy with
- Some crossbar sizes and
shapes require adapters.
This roof rack is ideal for those who like to make a halt on their way for a while after a paddling session. The main feature of this roof rack is the locking mechanism. When you return to your car, you’ll still have your boards, thanks to this rack’s secure locking system.
- Boards can be easily slid with floating straps.
- Scuffs and scratches are prevented by the rubber-covered steel straps and soft padding.
- The materials used in this product are corrosion-resistant.
- It takes less than 15 minutes to install and is easy to use.
- Mounts on most factory crossbars with a universal mounting system.
- For households with multiple
sports interests, this is a
- Several boards and boats
can be accommodated
with the J-Cradle system.
- Water and corrosion-
proof aluminum make
this product lightweight
- Boards and kayaks with
oversized padding are
well protected against
scratches in this product.
- The product is extremely
This roof rack might initially seem complicated, but you will find it quite simple to use. Two kayaks can be carried in the J-Cradle at the same time.
- Various sizes and shapes of gear can be transported with it.
- Holders for paddles are included.
- The materials used are of high quality and durability.
- Tiedown straps and stern lines are included.
- It can accommodate two kayaks weighing up to 158 pounds.
- Long-lasting and waterproof straps.
- No tools are required for
installation or removal.
- It is capable of carrying all
types of water sports
canoes, kayaks, sports
- Besides, sports equipment
can also be used to carry
ladders, luggage, etc.
- The airbags in the side
curtains of vehicles are
unsuitable for this product.
Our list includes the Woowave Roof Rack for soft paddle boards. Foam padding makes this one easy to use because it does not need to be inflated, so you can use it when you are ready. Anyone who does not want to spend time struggling with frames or tools would benefit significantly from this rack.
- It weighs only 3.3 pounds.
- This product is made from UV-resistant, hard-wearing EPE foam.
- Roof racks can be installed on vehicles without rails and crossbars.
- A storage bag and tiedown straps are included
- A simple and easy-to-use
- You can lock your vehicle
securely with this product.
- Build quality is excellent.
- A sleek design makes it
stand out from the crowd.
- Rails are required to fit the
When it comes to roof racks and accessories, Thule is at the top of its game. The accessories are plentiful as well. With Thule, you can customize the roof rack to fit the board, case, or sports equipment you have instead of having a one-size-fits-all frame.
- This product can accommodate a capacity of 165 pounds.
- Aerodynamics improves fuel efficiency and reduces wind noise.
- Fitting is ensured with the included AcuTight tensioning tool.
- You can choose from two colors to match your car’s look.
- This lock is available with two
keys or with a passcode.
- Straps stay in place during
transit with a premium cam
- Protects vehicle and board
from scratches with
sleeved silicone lock.
- Tie down any load with
this versatile tiedown feature.
- Padding is not included.
This is another popular product today. A durable nylon strap keeps your paddle board securely attached to your rack, while a stainless steel cable secures it to prevent anyone from accessing it.
- It can accommodate a maximum weight capacity of 600 pounds
- The pack contains two straps
- A stainless steel cable reinforces the straps for security.
- It features a magic sticker system that keeps straps tidy.
- It can hold both the board
and the rack.
- Strap management integrates
with the bag’s design to
store excess straps so we can
stow them during travel.
- Installing and using it is simple.
- The tools necessary for
installation are not included.
This product stands seventh on my list. Paddle boards of any size can be loaded quickly into the Yakima SUPDawg carrier, and the airline can also hold oversized panels. It installs easily with no tools and includes bar adaptors for square, aero, and round crossbars.
- There are also two anchor cords for leashes and a tiedown.
- It can also accommodate narrower racing paddleboards.
- A locking mechanism allows it to hold up to 2 boards.
- A roller is attached to the bar at the end, making loading boards easier.
- The soft cushions prevent
your kayak from rubbing
against your board or watercraft.
- You can tie down your gear with
the two lashing straps included.
- It comes with a foldable
J-bar, which is extremely
strong and sturdy.
- It is also affordable.
- The package does not include ratcheting straps.
The paddle boards, surfboards, kayaks, and canoes fit easily on the Vault Cargo Universal Carrier Roof Rack. The J-shaped bars are foldable and mount directly to the roof rack crossbars. Flattening them helps to reduce wind resistance when not in use, so you can ride all year long if necessary or park your car easily in low places.
- A pair of lashing straps are included.
- It comes with foldable J-bars.
- The racks are made of heavy-duty aluminum, making them lightweight and durable.
- Installation takes only a few minutes.
Transporting SUPs: Tips and tricks
01. Make sure you have a paddle with you:
Paddles can be stored inside vehicles if they fit. Alternatively, you can attach a paddle rack holder to it if it does not.
02. Start with the longest SUP:
You’ll stack your SUPs on top of each other if you have more than one on your roof. The longest SUP should be stacked on top of the shortest one. To prevent damage to the SUPs, place padding between them.
03. You should pad your truck’s tailgate:
Place some padding on top of your truck’s tailgate if you are going to stow your board there. Ensure your SUP board is secured correctly so it does not move around a lot. To warn other drivers, placing red flagging on the tip of the longer SUP boards is a great idea.
Things to consider while purchasing a Stand up paddle board roof rack: Buyers Guide
It doesn’t have to be a daunting task to transport stand-up paddle boards with the right rack system, as you can see from our selection above. It’s easy to choose the model best suited to you if you know what you need. Here are some key features to consider when choosing a stand up paddle board roof racks. Keep reading!
01. Choosing the Right Model
Transporting a stand-up board on the roof of a vehicle is dangerous due to its size and weight. Thus you always need to choose carefully. It is essential to consider whether you already have a permanently installed rack-mounted system on your car or whether you need a model that can be removed entirely when not in use.
02. Mounting and installation System
SUP board systems should work with your existing loading rack if you already have one on your car roof. Roof racks for paddle boards can be mounted in two ways: by using a current frame or mounting them to a bare ceiling. Therefore, choose wisely.
A versatile model will serve you best if you enjoy kayaking, paddling, canoeing, and surfing. If switching between different board types, you might consider getting a roof rack like Yakima or Thule rather than a roof rack that can hold one kayak or canoe at a time.
04. A number of boards
All the models which I have reviewed can hold a capacity of a maximum of one or two paddle boards. Roof racks should never be loaded more than specified by the manufacturer for safety reasons. Due to their bulk size, there is no way to transport paddle boards in great numbers on the roof. The trailer you can hitch to the back of your vehicle will allow you to haul three or more of them around. Vault Cargo’s budget model is probably sufficient for a single board, but make sure it fits the vehicle’s roof.
05. A mechanism for locking
When purchasing paddle board roof racks, it is another essential factor to keep in mind. When a carrier is mounted on a roof rack, a locking mechanism usually locks the airline down and the gear ties. It should be locked and keyed to prevent people from tampering with the mechanism. Therefore choose wisely.
Frequently Asked Questions: FAQs
The fact that you live far from the shore shouldn’t make it difficult for you to get your stand-up paddleboard or surfboard to the water. A variety of roof racks allow you to transport one or two boards and other gear or watercraft safely and comfortably, regardless of what rack equipment you already have or don’t have. Taking advantage of your car roof’s existing features is your best option if safety is the primary concern. Make sure that you allow adequate padding when transporting more than one board. Make transporting your stand-up paddle board easier with our selection of the best stand up paddle board roof racks. Happy paddling!