Consider yourself fortunate if you live near and close to the beach because you don’t have to worry about transporting your SUP board and gear to the beach water. Others must carry their paddle boards longer distances to reach the beach. It can be challenging, but don’t let that discourage you from enjoying them. Even if you don’t live close to the beach, you can enjoy this sport with the best stand-up paddle board roof rack. When you have the right roof rack or carrier for your car, you can safely transport your paddle board while leaving the room with more space for your family and friends.
As a beginner, choosing among the many styles, shapes, and prices available in the market can be confusing. Thus, I’ve compiled this list of the best stand up paddle board roof racks available today, along with some information about why you should buy one and what to consider and look for when purchasing one.
Roof racks for paddle boards: Reasons why you should get one.
Firstly, you may think, are roof racks essential? Well, if you don’t have a roof rack, there are some alternatives, including:
- Using tie-downs on the roof of the vehicle to secure the board.
- Making a roof rack with pool noodles, foam, or bungee cords.
- Driving with the trunk open while loading the board into the car.
However, these options can have the following consequences:
- Your board and car may get damaged. Using ratchets, buckles, or bungee ties, your paintwork and gear can easily be scratched, scraped, or ding when improperly tying a board.
- Your board may get damaged or lost. A board improperly tied can easily be dislodged by high winds. A panel improperly connected can easily be dislodged by high winds. If it falls off your vehicle, it may break, break, or become lost beside the roadside.
- Your board may come loose and cause an accident while driving; any damages will be your responsibility.
- Getting pulled over for driving unsafely.
So, don’t take any chances. It is essential to treat paddle boards with respect because they are expensive. The process is safer when paddle boards are mounted on a roof rack. In addition, it is easier to get your paddle board to the water, and anything that makes it easier is a good idea!
List of some of the best stand up paddle board roof racks:
Following is the list of the Best stand up paddle board roof racks available online
01. HandiRack inflatable soft roof rack
This roof rack is the most popular product on this entire list. With its lightweight, portable, and versatile design, this Inflatable Soft Roof Rack is great for any vehicle. Since 2006, it has proven to be a consumer favorite. As a result of the inflatable design and features, no rods or rails are needed, and it protects both the board and the vehicle from dents and scratches.
- A handy storage bag is included with it
- Households with multiple sports and vehicles can use it
- The capacity of this product is 175 pounds
- It weighs only 6 pounds and is easy to transport
- Durable materials are used in its construction
- Fits easily and quickly.
- Suitable for most hardtop vehicles, even those with sunroofs and crossbars.
- Bespoke buckles ensure that straps remain tight and tensioned when traveling long distances.
- The package includes a pump, bow, stern lines, and tiedown straps.
- This product is not suitable for vehicles with soft tops.
02. INNO locking Surfboard Roof Rack
This roof rack is ideal for those who like to make a halt on their way for a while after a paddling session. The main feature of this roof rack is the locking mechanism. When you return to your car, you’ll still have your boards, thanks to this rack’s secure locking system.
- Boards can be easily slid with floating straps.
- Scuffs and scratches are prevented by the rubber-covered steel straps and soft padding.
- The materials used in this product are corrosion-resistant.
- It takes less than 15 minutes to install and is easy to use
- Mounts on most factory crossbars with a universal mounting system
- It is capable of carrying two longboards or three shortboards.
- Durable and corrosion-resistant materials are used.
- Loading is easy with floating straps.
- It weighs only 8 pounds.
- Some crossbar sizes and shapes require adapters.
03. IKURAM folding Surfboard Roof Rack
This roof rack might initially seem complicated, but you will find it quite simple to use. Two kayaks can be carried in the J-Cradle at the same time.
- Various sizes and shapes of gear can be transported with it.
- Holders for paddles are included.
- The materials used are of high quality and durability.
- Tiedown straps and stern lines are included.
- It can accommodate two kayaks weighing up to 158 pounds.
- For households with multiple sports interests, this is a great choice.
- Several boards and boats can be accommodated with the J-Cradle system.
- Water and corrosion-proof aluminum make this product lightweight and durable.
- Boards and kayaks with oversized padding are well protected against scratches in this product.
- The product is extremely bulky.
04. WOOWAVE Universal Car Roof Rack
Our list includes the Woowave Roof Rack for soft paddle boards. Foam padding makes this one easy to use because it does not need to be inflated, so you can use it when you are ready. Anyone who does not want to spend time struggling with frames or tools would benefit significantly from this rack.
- It weighs only 3.3 pounds.
- This product is made from UV-resistant, hard-wearing EPE foam.
- Roof racks can be installed on vehicles without rails and crossbars.
- A storage bag and tiedown straps are included
- Long-lasting and waterproof straps.
- No tools are required for installation or removal.
- It is capable of carrying all types of water sports equipment, including canoes, kayaks, sports equipment, etc.
- Besides, sports equipment can also be used to carry ladders, luggage, etc.
- The airbags in the side curtains of vehicles are unsuitable for this product.
05. Thule all-in-one Racks
When it comes to roof racks and accessories, Thule is at the top of its game. The accessories are plentiful as well. With Thule, you can customize the roof rack to fit the board, case, or sports equipment you have instead of having a one-size-fits-all frame.
- This product can accommodate a capacity of 165 pounds.
- Aerodynamics improves fuel efficiency and reduces wind noise.
- Fitting is ensured with the included AcuTight tensioning tool.
- You can choose from two colors to match your car’s look.
- A simple and easy-to-use mounting system.
- A sleek design makes it stand out from the crowd.
- You can lock your vehicle securely with this product.
- Build quality is excellent.
- Rails are required to fit the vehicle.
06. Onefeng Tie Down Strap
This is another popular product today. A durable nylon strap keeps your paddle board securely attached to your rack, while a stainless steel cable secures it to prevent anyone from accessing it.
- It can accommodate a maximum weight capacity of 600 pounds
- The pack contains two straps
- A stainless steel cable reinforces the straps for security.
- It features a magic sticker system that keeps straps tidy.
- This lock is available with two keys or with a passcode.
- Straps stay in place during transit with a premium cam buckle.
- Protects vehicle and board from scratches with sleeved silicone lock.
- Tie down any load with this versatile tiedown feature.
- Padding is not included.
07. Yakima SUP Paddle Board roof rack
This product stands seventh on my list. Paddle boards of any size can be loaded quickly into the Yakima SUPDawg carrier, and the airline can also hold oversized panels. It installs easily with no tools and includes bar adaptors for square, aero, and round crossbars.
- There are also two anchor cords for leashes and a tiedown.
- It can also accommodate narrower racing paddleboards
- A locking mechanism allows it to hold up to 2 boards
- A roller is attached to the bar at the end, making loading boards easier
- It can hold both the board and the rack.
- Strap management integrates with the bag’s design to store excess straps so we can stow them during travel.
- Installing and using it is simple.
- The tools necessary for installation are not included.
08. Kayak Roof Rack by Vault Cargo
The paddle boards, surfboards, kayaks, and canoes fit easily on the Vault Cargo Universal Carrier Roof Rack. The J-shaped bars are foldable and mount directly to the roof rack crossbars. Flattening them helps to reduce wind resistance when not in use, so you can ride all year long if necessary or park your car easily in low places.
- A pair of lashing straps are included.
- It comes with foldable J-bars
- The racks are made of heavy-duty aluminum, making them lightweight and durable.
- Installation takes only a few minutes.
- The soft cushions prevent your kayak from rubbing against your board or watercraft.
- You can tie down your gear with the two lashing straps included.
- It comes with a foldable J-bar, which is extremely strong and sturdy.
- It is also affordable.
- The package does not include ratcheting straps.
Transporting SUPs: Tips and tricks
- Make sure you have a paddle with you: Paddles can be stored inside vehicles if they fit. Alternatively, you can attach a paddle rack holder to it if it does not.
- Start with the longest SUP: You’ll stack your SUPs on top of each other if you have more than one on your roof. The longest SUP should be stacked on top of the shortest one. To prevent damage to the SUPs, place padding between them.
- You should pad your truck’s tailgate: Place some padding on top of your truck’s tailgate if you are going to stow your board there. Ensure your SUP board is secured correctly so it does not move around a lot. To warn other drivers, placing red flagging on the tip of the longer SUP boards is a great idea.
Things to consider while purchasing a Stand up paddle board roof rack: Buyers Guide
It doesn’t have to be a daunting task to transport stand-up paddle boards with the right rack system, as you can see from our selection above. It’s easy to choose the model best suited to you if you know what you need. Here are some key features to consider when choosing a stand up paddle board roof racks. Keep reading!
- Choosing the Right Model- Transporting a stand-up board on the roof of a vehicle is dangerous due to its size and weight. Thus you always need to choose carefully. It is essential to consider whether you already have a permanently installed rack-mounted system on your car or whether you need a model that can be removed entirely when not in use.
- Mounting and installation System- SUP board systems should work with your existing loading rack if you already have one on your car roof. Roof racks for paddle boards can be mounted in two ways: by using a current frame or mounting them to a bare ceiling. Therefore, choose wisely.
- Versatility- A versatile model will serve you best if you enjoy kayaking, paddling, canoeing, and surfing. If switching between different board types, you might consider getting a roof rack like Yakima or Thule rather than a roof rack that can hold one kayak or canoe at a time.
- A number of boards- All the models which I have reviewed can hold a capacity of a maximum of one or two paddle boards. Roof racks should never be loaded more than specified by the manufacturer for safety reasons. Due to their bulk size, there is no way to transport paddle boards in great numbers on the roof. The trailer you can hitch to the back of your vehicle will allow you to haul three or more of them around. Vault Cargo’s budget model is probably sufficient for a single board, but make sure it fits the vehicle’s roof.
- A mechanism for locking- When purchasing paddle board roof racks, it is another essential factor to keep in mind. When a carrier is mounted on a roof rack, a locking mechanism usually locks the airline down and the gear ties. It should be locked and keyed to prevent people from tampering with the mechanism. Therefore choose wisely.
Frequently Asked Questions: FAQs
Can I mount paddleboards and kayaks on the same roof rack?
Each roof rack has a slightly different size. A kayak should be handled by most of them without any problems, but you should always double-check the product specifications before buying a product.
Are roof racks necessary for kayaks and SUPs?
In a word, yes. I recommend roof racks installed on your vehicle to ensure the ultimate safety of your car and the SUP if you are concerned about the security of your vehicle and the kayak or SUP.
When can I use soft racks for kayaks or SUPs?
It is often used when kayaks or SUPs only need to be transported from the store to home and won’t need to be transported on a roof rack again. Soft racks are a budget option and a short-distance solution. Using soft racks may be a good idea if you live near water access.
Do roof racks allow inflatable paddle boards?
Yes, but the inflatable paddle board should be placed on the deck side, on the roof rack, with the tail facing the front. By doing so, wind resistance will be decreased. The largest board should be placed at the bottom of transporting multiple boards.
The fact that you live far from the shore shouldn’t make it difficult for you to get your stand-up paddleboard or surfboard to the water. A variety of roof racks allow you to transport one or two boards and other gear or watercraft safely and comfortably, regardless of what rack equipment you already have or don’t have. Taking advantage of your car roof’s existing features is your best option if safety is the primary concern. Make sure that you allow adequate padding when transporting more than one board. Make transporting your stand-up paddle board easier with our selection of the best stand up paddle board roof racks. Happy paddling!